- This devil dog was the first female Marine selected for naval aviation training and received her wings April 21, 1995.
- She was the first female Marine to pilot an MV-22 Osprey.
- He was the first Marine to be awarded the Medal of Honor.
- This brave hard-charger was the first Marine to scale the 10-foot seawall when the Marines landed at Inchon, South Korea, in 1950.
- He embarked on the Marine Corps’ first solo training flight, after only two hours and 40 minutes of instruction.
- This hero was the first Marine to be awarded the Medal of Honor since the Vietnam War.
- She was the first woman promoted to “master guns” in 1960.
- She was the first female Marine to reach the rank of general in 1978.
- This Greeley, Colo., native was the first woman to be appointed three stars in the history of the Marine Corps.
- He was the first Hispanic Marine to be awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions in China during the Boxer Rebellion.
- He was the first African-American to enlist in the Marine Corps.
- He was the first Chinese-American officer in the Marine Corps, commissioned as a second lieutenant in 1943.
- He was the first African-American officer in the Marine Corps, commissioned as a second lieutenant in 1945.
- This Butte, Mont., native was the first Native-American female to enlist in the Marine Corps in 1943.
- This African-American leatherneck was the first female combat aviator, flying AH-IW Super Cobra helicopters.
Just to confirm you got 100% on the test the first time, you can check your answers on this page.
// By Marines Staff
What medal was created in 1862, has been awarded 3,500 times, and has its own flag? History is very important to the Marine Corps, so check out the knowledge test to see how much you really know about the Medal of Honor, our country’s highest military decoration.
// By Marines Staff
Do these symbols look familiar to you? If you want to be a part of the fight in a deploying unit, these are some basic symbols you need to know when identifying units on a [Read more...]