The 25th Marine Regiment is one of three infantry regiments in the 4th Marine Division. The regiment commands 15 training centers in nine states from its headquarters in Worcester, Mass. The regiment is one of the five remaining regiments that participated in the Battle of Iwo Jima in 1945.
Mission: 25th Marine Regiment trains and prepares for employment for combat operations in order to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, or to repel his assault by close combat.
Motto: “Cold Steel Warriors”
“Cold” – is meant to imply calm, confident and courageous.
“Steel” – refers to the spirit of the composite material, the Marines of the regiment, drawn from all walks of life to the service of their Country, forged in boot camp then honed to a razor’s edge through rigorous training.
“Warriors” - demonstrates resiliency and strength; ability to bend to the operational conditions encountered, yet never break before the enemy the Marines of the regiment oppose.
Unit establishment date: May 1, 1943
Commanding Officer: Col. Robert T. Durkin
Sergeant Major: Sgt. Maj. Robert Clark
Manpower: 3,000 reserve and active duty Marines
The Regiment is comprised of:
• Headquarters Battalion, 25th Marines
• 1st Battalion, 25th Marines, headquartered out of Fort Devens, Mass.
• 2nd Battalion, 25th Marines, headquartered out of Garden City, N.Y.
• 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines, headquartered out of Brook Park, Ohio.
• Mission first
• Maintain a warrior ethos
• Be professional
• Be technically and tactically proficient
• Seek out information
• Emphasize teamwork
• Learn from mistakes
• Never compromise integrity
• During World War II, the unit participated in the Kwajalein, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima Campaigns, earning two Presidential Unit Citations for its involvement in the battles.
• In February 1991, the entire regiment was activated for operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. However, only 1st Battalion deployed to southwest Asia and participated in the 1st Marine Division’s initial breach of Iraqi defenses.
• The regiment has participated in the Global War on Terrorism in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Since 2003, each of the battalions have deployed in support of combat operations throughout Iraq.