2nd MLG: Conduct combat logistics operations in support of II Marine Expeditionary Force and attached or assigned forces in order to support and conduct combat operations and sustain warfighting effectiveness. Provide general support combat logistics to all forces operating in the expeditionary force battlespace.
CLB 6: Train, organize, deploy, employ, fight and redeploy in order to provide logistics combat support to a Regimental Combat Team and additional Marine Air Ground Task Force maneuver elements..
- Nick Name – Red Cloud, Indian Chief
- Activated – 2006
- Location – Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, N.C.
- Motto – Excellence, Innovation, Quality
- Commanding Officer – Lt. Col. Ralph J. Rizzo Jr.
- Sergeant Major – Sgt. Maj. Phillip A. Orellano
- Manpower – 824-850
Status -The battalion is currently deployed to Afghanistan and has a presence throughout the Helmand Province. The Marines continue maintenance programs with the Afghan National Army, and are training ANA personnel on Medical protocol and transportation operations. The Battalion is also known for purifying water and ensuring safe and effective water resupply missions. The water mission is no small feat considering that, on an average day, the Battalion Marines operate showers for more than 300 Marines, Sailors and civilians. They also complete dozens of combat loads of laundry in less than 24 hours, and, on average, pump hundreds of gallons of fuel that directly support combat operations.
The Marines are making a difference and they are meeting the battalion commander’s intent of taking care of the grunts by building, repairing, driving, delivering all in support of the infantry Marine on the battlefield.
- National Defense Service Streamer; Iraq Campaign Streamer; Global War on Terrorism Service Streamer
- Operations: Operation Desert Storm; Operation Iraqi Freedom; Operation Enduring Freedom